- 2 tbsp cornstarch = 1 egg
- 2 tbsp arrowroot flour = 1 egg
- 2 tbsp potato starch = 1 egg
- 1 heaping tbsp soy powder + 2 tbsp water = 1 egg
- 1 tbsp soy milk powder + 1 tbsp cornstarch + 2 tbsp water = 1 egg.
- 1 banana = 1 egg in cakes and pancakes!
- 1 tbsp milled flax seed and 3 tbsp water = 1 egg. Light, fluffy cakes!
Now for my favorite baking ingredient….Salvia Hispanica, or more commonly known from the name brand as Salba. (It's actually the Chia pet, lol!) They harvest the seed and it is sold as a supplement, similar to flax. But what I use it for, is to make a gel out of it. By taking the seeds, adding water to them and letting them sit over night or at least a couple of hours, it creates a gel around the seeds that is just like the egg whites! I use it for baking and it really holds up! I was able to make a moist bread that didn't just crumble when you touch it (which commonly happens when you have to cook without eggs, yeast and gluten as a binder). If the labels doesn't have the directions it’s:
1 part Salba + 8 parts water = 1 egg Combine in a glass jar and let sit overnight or at least an hour.