Thursday, January 5, 2012

Oats Again!

With the addition of eggs and GF oats into our rotation, I was ecstatic to try out some new oat flour I found today. I immediately came home and searched for yeast & gluten free oat breads and came across this dandy. I altered it to our needs. Want the recipe? ‘Cause it REALLY GOOD.

GF YF Oat bread

Yeast & Gluten Free Oat Bread

1 1/2 cups GF oat flour
1 cup sweet sorghum flour
1/2 cup corn starch (the original recipe called for Tapioca starch instead, but I didn’t have any on hand)
2 Tbs chia seeds (or flax seeds)
2 tsp baking powder
1 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp sea salt
3 eggs
1 cup water
2 Tbs agave nectar (or honey, I used buckwheat honey)
1 Tbs white vinegar
1/4 cup oats for topping (optional)
Preheat oven to 350* F. In a medium bowl, combine chia (or flax) seeds and water. Allow to sit for 10 to 15 minutes. In a large bowl, whisk together flours/starch, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. In the bowl of water and seeds, add eggs, agave (or honey), and vinegar. Whisk together and slowly add the liquid to the dry ingredients, stirring as you go with a large spoon or an electric mixer on low. It will be more the consistency of a thick batter than a dough. Grease a large loaf pan (I used coconut oil ) and pour the batter into the pan. Sprinkle the top of the bread with the whole oats if desired. Bake for 35-40 minutes or until a skewer inserted in the center comes out clean. Allow to cool completely before removing from the pan.

This turned out great! Especially since we haven’t had bread with eggs in it for like 4 years! I was amazed at how dense and yet….bread like it was! I guess the best thing to liken it to is a soda bread. I’m still trying to figure out a butter substitute to top it with, since goat butter is out of the question. So far, I just put some jam on top for hungry boy. (But for me, I snuck some creamy goat cheese and homemade peach preserves on it….heaven, I swear!)

This will be made again! Now to find some other grains to make this or similar recipes with. I have a coconut bread that I really want to try, as well as a flourless chocolate cake that I saw on Pinterest the other day…YUM!

No comments:

Post a Comment